Already in 1705 the (then still wooden post)mill emerges on the cadastral map.
During the First World War the German occupier equipped the mill as an observatory. On command the mill had to run for the Germans. The passageway in the mill hill served as an army kitchen.
In 1968, the town purchased the mill, which in 1973 was protected as a monument. In 1988, the building was entrusted to the non-profit organisation Hovaeremolen and they had it repaired in 1996-1998.
The Hovaere mill is open from 1 May until 30 September. Every first and third Sunday of the month from 2 p.m. until 6 p.m. on appointment.
Groups can visit the mill on appointment.